920 U St NW

The building was designed by architect Isaiah T. Hatton and delivered in 1908, where the Murray Brothers (Raymond, Morris, and Norman) opened their eponymous printing shop with the support of their father, Freeman Henry Morris Murray. In 1921 they began publishing the Washington Tribune, which became the city's major black newspaper after the Washington Bee folded in 1922, with upto 30,000 copies a day printed on a Goss printing press. The Murray's Palace Casino was one of the most popular clubs on U Street in the 1920s and 1930s. The amenities at Casino entertained the city's non-white patrons, providing ballrooms for dancing and even a bowling alley.

Ad for Murray's Palace Casino ballroom
Ad for Murray's Palace Casino ballroom

Courtesy of George Washington Special Collections

press to zoom
Ad for Murray's Palace Casino bowling alleys
Ad for Murray's Palace Casino bowling alleys

Courtesy of George Washington Special Collections

press to zoom
Ad for Murray's Palace Casino ballroom
Ad for Murray's Palace Casino ballroom

Courtesy of George Washington Special Collections

press to zoom
1/2