14th St NW & Corcoran St NW

The John Wesley African Methodist Episcopal Zion Denomination Church was founded in 1847 by the Litthe Society of Nine group of freedmen The church operated a school from 1855 till 1868, moving around the 18th St area and Connecticut Ave before a gift from the Philadelphia and Baltimore AME Zion conferences in 1914 allowed them to purchase the former St. Andrew's Episcopal Church at this site. The Church was an important hub of civic activity, sponsoring Marcus Garvey and Paul Robeson. It was also a venue for outstanding performers of music, including Duke Ellington and the African American Wings Over Jordan Choir which enjoyed huge popularity in the late 1930s and early 1940s.

Ad for Wings over Jordan Choir at AME Zion Church
Ad for Wings over Jordan Choir at AME Zion Church

Courtesy George Washington University Special Collections

press to zoom
Ad for Howard University Choir at AME Zion Church
Ad for Howard University Choir at AME Zion Church

Courtesy George Washington University Special Collections

press to zoom
Ad for Wings over Jordan Choir at AME Zion Church
Ad for Wings over Jordan Choir at AME Zion Church

Courtesy George Washington University Special Collections

press to zoom
1/2